Thursday 1 February 2018

The good doctor of Warsaw - Elizabeth Gifford

'You do not leave a sick child alone to face the dark and you do not leave a child at a time like this.'

Deeply in love and about to marry, students Misha and Sophia flee a Warsaw under Nazi occupation for a chance at freedom. Forced to return to the Warsaw ghetto, they help Misha's mentor, Dr Korczak, care for the two hundred children in his orphanage. As Korczak struggles to uphold the rights of even the smallest child in the face of unimaginable conditions, he becomes a beacon of hope for the thousands who live behind the walls.

As the noose tightens around the ghetto Misha and Sophia are torn from one another, forcing them to face their worst fears alone. They can only hope to find each other again one day...

Meanwhile, refusing to leave the children unprotected, Korczak must confront a terrible darkness.

Half a million people lived in the Warsaw ghetto. Less than one percent survived to tell their story. This novel is based on the true accounts of Misha and Sophia, and on the life of one of Poland's greatest men, Dr Janusz Korczak.

My thoughts:
"Finally the ghetto understands what the Germans intend. If they can take the children, they can take everybody."

If that is a spoiler then you need to read a history book. I knew this would be sad, it was Warsaw! All in all, in Poland 90% of the Jewish population was murdered. The question is more, who will survive. Because some did, even though it is really hard to understand how anyone made it through. And once again I do not understand that hate and madness of mankind. Just because they are Jewish! I will never understand that.

I had never heard of Dr Korczak, (or might have in my studies and forgot). He did his best to protect the children in his orphanage and then to try and feed them as the walls closed in. And take in every child he could. Oh he was a wonderful person filled with hope, what a good man! And those children, so happy to be there with him in those dark days.

The book is also about Misha and Sophia. Misha who works for Korczak, and then he meets Sophia. All she wants is to become a teacher and she loves the ideas Korczak has. 

But yes then the war starts. Then the ghetto comes into play. And then the Germans start moving people out.

Still it was not a sad book, I mean obviously it was sad, but it was so filled with hope because of Dr K and his kids. They were the light, while through Misha and Sophia we saw the darker sides.

Conclusion;
A book that should be read so we do not forget.

42 comments:

  1. The last couple of historical fiction books I've read concerning the war have been so good, and this book does sound like its well done too! thank you for putting this book on my radar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I’m going to have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I’m going to have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah reading books about that time always puts me in such a sad mood for DAYS. This sounds wonderful and I love that it's also hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great review and yes we should all be required to read at least one of these a year so we never forget

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was this the doctor in the news that was reunited with some of the children he saved?

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not, but omg that piece made me cry!

      Delete
  7. Great read! The hate and racism in the world is so hard to understand. I believe books like this should be a part of our education system. I'll have to keep my eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really should be. And we will never have a world free of hate :/

      Delete
  8. This is new for me but sounds good. And sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a very emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad it showed hope, I'd be bawling if not

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will never understand that kind of hate either. I also can see why this needs to be read and why it is important. Brilly review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are honestly stupid. I am a minority, people believe stupid things about us

      Delete
  12. Glad to hear it balances the sadness with hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Leia said...dang, I forgot what she said, well you surely know

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness, I love historical fiction but I don't know if I could read this. My emotions wouldn't be able to take it. I would be so depressed reading about what the people went through. Still, glad to hear there was some hope...

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always hope, even though I knew, it was bad in Poland, sp very bad

      Delete
  14. I've heard of Dr Korczak. I am adding to my list. Thanks Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Indeed it is important to read books like this to remind us of history and how unfortunately in parts of the world today similar things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is why historical fiction is important and books with the same themes need to be written and read by every generation - so no one forgets.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear this was a positive story in light of all the horrors that went on then. I'm like you, I just can't comprehend the awfulness one human can inflict on another. It's mind boggling and heartbreaking!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whew, sounds like a heavy read. But as you said, we must not forget. Thanks for the review, I'm adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes just seeing title/cover I was like oh heartbreaker. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a powerful read, I'd be crying as I read it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP